Tuesday, October 15, 2013

AUTOMATED LAW ENFORCEMENT

As many of you know, I was in traffic court last week for a "no turn on red" traffic ticket. I saw the video tape, and without going into the specifics of my case (which I will be getting the minutes to share with you!), I want to discuss the process here in NY specifically as it was explained to me in court.

First the judge and DA explained that NYS law states that you must come to a full and complete stop prior to making a right turn on red.

1) IF there is a white stop line on the ground, you must come to a full and complete stop prior to reaching that white line, regardless of where the white line is painted.

2) If there is not whiteline, you must stop prior to any crosswalk markings.

3) If there is no crosswalk you must stop before the intersection, which is described where two roads meet.

My ticket was issues from a red light camera, then the film was reviewed by a technician, who approved me to receive my ticket. Then I pleaded not-guilty and then went to court, where I was then told I was guilty.

I asked the judge to explain what a "full and complete stop meant." He said "complete cessation of movement of the vehicle, even a nano-second."

I replied to him that I didn't understand how the camera can prove that I did not stop for a nano-second, if it does not record more than 10 frames a second. The judge replied to me that there is "NO CAMERA IN EXISTENCE THAT CAN CAPTURE THAT CAN CAPTURE THAT." Yes the court room gasped when he said it.

Needless to say he told me that it doesn't matter that the camera doesn't pick up every moment in time, and that there is no time designation for a "full and complete stop."

It is JUST a RED LIGHT TICKET.

It is JUST THE BEGINNING.

People have to decide to take a stand or not.

I believe that laws are made to protect the safety of the people. A RED LIGHT CAMERA set to ticket drivers based on a "mystery white stop line" that "may or may not" be there, at NO STANDARD POSITION on the street, that captures 10 frames a second, but not every moment in time, can give a ticket to EVERYONE who stops at that intersection because the laws have loop holes that no one wants to fill!

SORRY BUT WHEN YOU REMOVE A PERSON from the ticket process and replace it with a machine, I want a equally technical definition of the law to protect myself and abide by!

A BIG "SMURF YOU" TO THE RED LIGHT CAMERA TEAM who drafted the laws that are now ENTRAPPING everyone!

STOP THEM NOW BEFORE THEY AUTOMATE ANYTHING ELSE!




No comments: